Princess Beatrice in Kalimpong to attend eye-care programme



STATESMAN NEWS SERVICE
Kalimpong, 4 October

Princess Beatrice, the seventh in line to succeed Queen Elizabeth II of England, arrived in Kalimpong to attend an eye-care programme here this afternoon.

The 28-year-old Beatrice, who is the first child of Prince Andrew, the Duke of York, and Sarah Ferguson and the fifth grandchild of the Queen and Prince Philip, attended the ‘Free cataract and intra-ocular lens and implant programme’,being organised by the Jamgon Kongtrul Eye Centre in technical collaboration with Tilganga Eye Centre of Nepal.

The eye centre located on Lower Bridle Road is run by the Paramita Charitable Trust, which was set up by the late Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche III.

In the course of sharing her experience of being in this region for the very first time,Princess Beatrice said, “I got to know through my team that I will be travelling here. I was really interested in promoting community eye centres like this one; this is thus an important development for all concerned.

Kalimpong has mesmerised me in every sense, thus I feel really lucky to be amongst the local people. I have been visiting Dr Ruth’s hospital in Kathmandu and to travel with him in the field which brought me to Kalimpong today, is a huge opportunity and honour.”

The Princess further added, “In the context of charity, I think I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to come and see the great work that is being done on this ground. I think it is a great chance to see the difference

that can be really made, especially through building strength in the community.”
The princess informed that her schedule for the next couple of days is packed with similar camps in different regions.




Share your views...

0 Respones to "Princess Beatrice in Kalimpong to attend eye-care programme"

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2013 Kalimpong News Express Powered by Blogger Blog Designed by Mukesh